1.25.2005

My Top 10 Movies List with a Twist

I am sick of the Top 10 Movies list. I have three kids (kids, not young adults), so Mrs. Tilam and I are confined in our movie palette. I can not opine on Sideways, because I did not see it. (Thew has a different constraint: unless it is rated "G" for Gratuitous Gutwrenching Gorefest, with a body count in excess of 25 and a minimum 500 gallons of stage blood, it does not make the cut.)

So, in revolt, I am publishing my Top 10 Family Movies of 2004.

10. Princess Diaries 2 - Not particularly my favorite, but aces with the whole family.
9. A Cinderella Story - I have got to admit it, I love anything with Hillary Duff. Along with great messages, she plays the type of girl you would want your daughter to be.
8. Agent Cody Banks 2 - Gadgets and Frankie Muniz, enough said.
7. The Prince and Me - Another feel good movie for the family.
6. Racing Stripes - Quite probably one (or ten) too many fart/poop jokes, but everyone was laughing a lot. Again, great messages.
5. Miracle - I was a junior in HS when this happen and skied at Lake Placid the following winter. Lots of memories and a great - true - story to boot. (And the kids liked it a lot.)
4. Shrek 2 - I like this one much more than the original in every way. Can't wait for Shrek 3.
3. Napoleon Dynamite - Surprise! The kids really liked this lovable loser. I just love that this was a guy that could win (and I'd cheer) then get beat up (and I'd cheer). See the movie and you would know what I mean.
2. National Treasure - Went with the whole family, including Grandpa and Grandma Tilam and everyone loved it. No mixed messages, giving up a few billion $, because it is right. The DaVinci Code for the pre-teen crowd.
1. The Incredibles - Nothing more need to be said.

My disappointments:

3. Shark's Tale - What a drag.
2. Thunderbirds - Kids loved it, I kept thinking that the 1960s puppets were more alive than the cast.
1. No boy-coming-of-age plots. Between Duff, Bynes, Hathaway and Lohan, there are enough feel good girl movies to fill a multiplex. The only boy centric movies are action oriented (Cody Banks) or cartoons. I am sure that plays to the audience, but a strong movie about a boy winning the affections of a girl from the boys point of view would be a nice change. Of course, Duff, Bynes, Hathaway and Lohan show the guy doing the right thing, but the audience really does not get that point of view. (A Cinderella Story might be the exception - Austin's character comes through stronger than most.) Chivalry centric plots are great for boys, but since my boys will be more likely to be wrestling with puberty than beheading Orcs in the coming years, something to entertain along those lines would be worth the price of admission.

No comments: