10.02.2006

Scramble Golf Cheats

Thew relayed to me his annual journey to his old home town to play in a scramble golf tournament. His group tied for second low round with 14 under par. The winners were...

20 under. In this case it was 1 par, 15 birdies and 3 eagles.

I have played in many scramble charity tournaments and occasionally see a number like this, but I find it nearly impossible to believe it was done honestly. With everything going your group's way and a very judicious use of mulligan tickets, I can believe a 16 or 17 under, but 20 under???

I suspect that it is not outright fraud - that is getting a par, but writing down a birdie - but more like a very generous interpretations of the rules, whether it be gimmes, mulligans, etc. But even so, I have played on some mighty fine teams and it just seems so contrary to experience.

Tomorrow, I am plying in a charity scramble of my own. Last year my team won...with a 14 under. I will let you know how it goes.

No comments: