5.24.2007

An Old Warrior

I attended the burial of my Uncle yesterday. My Uncle and I were not close as he lived in the Virgin Islands and did not seem to time his trips to my home state of Connecticut based on my schedule. But he was one of those great Uncles - young, handsome and an absolute rapscallion. Married a very pretty women, tended bar and, overall, led a life that a 13 year old thinks is very cool, until he grows up...

He was also a Vietnam War vet and many of his troubles have been blamed on his war experiences: both combat and non-combat, if you get my drift. He joined the US Army in 1968, qualifying Jump School with the 101st Airborne. He was a recipient of the Army Commendation Medal w/"V" Device, the Vietnam Service Medal w/4 Bronze Service Stars, a Parachutist Badge, and a Combat Infantry Badge.

He died young (age 60). As he was divorced, childless and without a will, the family decided to have him buried in a military cemetery in Connecticut.

Now let me say that I hate funerals. Really hate them. This is because of my own awkwardness regarding the situation: what do you say to someone who has lost a loved one? "I am sorry"? "He/she is in a better place"? Nothing seems adequate. Yesterday was different.

The day was beautiful and the cemetery was solemn and dignified with rows of white marble headstones neatly in formation. The two marines assigned to the burial were great treating the family with respect. My father asked me to read my Uncle's commendation letter to start things off and you could tell that this was unknown to most of the two dozen or so attendees. When I read that my Uncle's actions were a credit to "him, his unit and to the tradition of the United States Army", the emotion was palatable.

The folding of the flag was next with an accompanying 9 gun salute. The tri-folded flag was presented to my father as the family scion with a sharp salute and my father then turned and presented the flag to my Uncle's ex-wife. In the background, trumpeter unseen to any of the attendees, "Taps" was played. I can not convey the sense of higher purpose prevalent in this ceremony. It was beautiful and moving with a nobility not often found today.

My Uncle spent many years bucking the system and fighting the man. Later in life, he seemed to reconcile with friends and family in a meaningful way. I know he did not look fondly back on the Vietnam War (no surprise) and also did not think highly of the Army, but I think just maybe he looked down on the cemetery yesterday and came full circle on his military service also.

God Bless You, Uncle Peter.

No comments: