4.14.2005

Conclave

The subject of the Pope's death has been one that I have been thinking about a bit. It is pretty clear that he was a monumental figure in the world for the last 26 years; was instrumental in the fall of Communist Eastern Europe and Soviet Russia and left his personal mark on the Catholic Church, for better or worse. Though for the better, I think.

This is my and Thew's first time to be considered for Pope (no, we are not Cardinals, but every adult male Catholic is eligible to be Pope). I am quite sure I will not make the short list and DAMN sure Thew won't.

But I wondered, what would I do if I were Pope.

This started as an odd thought because my personal philosophy differs from the RCC in many ways: I am for a woman's (limited) right to choose; for euthanasia; for contraception; for married and female priests. But what if I were Pope? I think I would have to reassess.

JPII greatness lay in the fact that he stood for something in this world: moral goodness. He was unconcerned about the grayness and "realities" that I live day to day. (Or at least think I do.) Abortion in the case of incest or rape? No, that child is a child of God, regardless of the mechanism that begot it soul. Right to die? That is God's decision and God's decision alone.

Such clarity is enviable. And required in the Pope. And I found myself admitting that I would change my positions if I were Pope. Does that make me a hypocrite? I don't think so, but I do admit that I do not hold myself up to the standard of the Pope. But I must if I were.

John Paul was a beacon; a force for good and the absolute Rock upon which Christ built his Church. I may not agree with him from the vantage point of my mixed up muddled up 21st century suburban Boston viewpoint, but I thank God that John Paul II believed the things he did and reminded me of a higher standard.

Rest in Peace.

No comments: