4.25.2005

Young Man's Creed

Michael Barone, truly one of the brightest lights in political commentary, has a column in Real Clear Politics today about the role of religion in politics. A good commentary, but I think there is a further reason for the revival of religion he notes.

Atheism, agnosticism and secularism are young men's creeds. As the Boomers age (as it has been with every previous generation and as it will be in the future) they are becoming more religious.

I used to be relatively indifferent to the role of God in the world. For me at 24, it was hard to see. Further, with every reading of the front page of a national paper, it was certainly hard to believe in a God, or at least a benevolent God.

But when I watched my first child be born, I knew there had to be a God. It was as close to an epiphany as I could come. But with time, I saw more and appreciated that the proof of God is not in wars or famine, but in birth and in spring and in all the little things that we take for granted each day. It is a perspective I could not have at 24.

Miracles are not big things - parting of the Red Sea, the lions' den, curing the leper - they are small things - the first word of a child, the blossom of a crocus, the diversity of life on this planet. There is an interesting story of the man who walks through a field and finds a pocket watch. He knows immediately that the pocket watch is not part of "nature," but it has been made by someone or something.

The older I get, the more I believe that Earth is a pocket watch in the middle of an astral field.

No comments: