4.14.2005

God these conference calls are too frikkin LONG!

What a satisfying win for the Yankees over the Red Sox last night, on a few levels. Mariano Rivera, aside from a walk given up, was solid and aggressive, proving that this guy has the stuff, both physically and mentally, to be a dominant closer, which he has been for a while now. Jason Giambi is looking better and more confident at the plate, and Bernie Williams is trying desperately to prove that even the old guy in centerfield still has game left. And finally, shutting up Curt Schilling, who has become the poster boy for Yankees bashing in Beantown, was satisfying, especially since we took him deep twice.

In the "no comment department", according to Minnesota Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor, the team's acquisitions of Latrell Sprewell and Sam Cassell two summers ago were a "failed experiment." Now don't get me wrong, Cassell, 35, and Sprewell, 34, each complained in training camp about not getting contract extensions, which in my opinion ultimately doomed the team to mediocrity this year, but still, did he miss their run to the Western Conference Finals last year? Does he honestly think he could have done that without those two guys? I am all for shutting up those spoiled thugs that play in the NBA (not you, Ray Allen), but this is ridiculous to an extent. Their antics this season were abhorrent, and their attitudes have been questioned all season since the distractions they caused with their contract demands, but I think a little more credit is due to those two guys. Just me I guess...in any event, a team with that much talent is a despicable failure...like the NHL Rangers or the NFL Redskins.

My one last bitch at the Masters:
Unless you were fortunate enough to be at Augusta National on Sunday morning, you missed the incredible turnaround to The Masters, a possible record-setting run by Tiger Woods and what you could argue is the reason he eventually won the tournament. In the span of 30 minutes, Chris DiMarco double-bogeyed the 10th hole, which Woods had just birdied. Woods then went on to birdie the 11th, 12th and 13th holes, too. And none of it was televised. What a shame...


And for my last rant and rave, here are my musings as I fall face first into 40 during the month of April:

I am proud that aside from a slightly withdrawn hairline (family genes), I still have a full head of hair.
I am proud that my waistline is still smaller than my chest by a wide margin.
I am proud that I found a wonderful beautiful wife that I am going to be happy with for the rest of my days.
I am proud that my children have survived until their teenage years without getting kidnapped or molested - now the difficult part starts, my oldest is entering high school in the fall.
My golf handicap can be counted with the fingers on 1 hand, and I don't need the thumb (and you can keep the pinky too).
I've got a great family - parents and a crazy but outstanding brother who's always good for entertaining my kids with stories of his past escapades.
I am proud of the fact that my medicine cabinet contains exactly ZERO erectile disfunction medicines.

I hate having an ex-wife, they are mean and angry and just don't go away soon enough.
I hate having a slight case of love handles, where did those things come from - oh yeah, my wife is a good cook.
I hate the fact that now that I have the discipline to do things, I don't have the time. Back when I had the time, I did not have the discipline. *siiigh*
I hate traffic jams and have become the quintessential road rager.
I REALLY hate those prime indicators of old age - excessive nosehair and earwax...

No comments: