9.25.2005

And you laugh that *I* play "fantasy games"?!

Do not question my intentions, you should know better. You assume that *I* would behave in such a manner. I am talking in generalizations here - that society as a whole is becoming self centered and selfish, with little regard for anything and anyone outside their immediate influence.

I don't believe I have it wrong in my post, I think you are blinding yourself to the reality that exists in society today. When the shit hits the fan, we regress to our survival instinct - and the trade off between our own individual freedoms and others'? You seem to state that even given the repeal of our entire set of laws governing life we would still recognize the benefit of working together and society would not collapse, is that true? Dangerous drivers with little regard for things such as "traffic laws". Parents who sit there and let their children run wild, interfering with other people's fun. Babies and cell phones in movies despite repeated requests that we silence them. We fight each other for no reasons. People are shot over parking spaces. We are willing to put up with fatless potato chips even though it might cause abdominal cramping, diarhea, and bloody stools, because we are too lazy to exercise and show some dietary restraint? And you don't think society is degenerating? Dang, I want what you're smoking...the ONLY reason we behave in a lawful way is because we have laws. Take away those laws and we won't "work together", anarchy will take over. As for your assertion that "it is wrong but morally justifiable to commit a crime given an emergency" that's hogwash - what constitutes an emergency? "I'm sorry, but my kid pooped in his pants and I don't have any diapers, this is an EMERGENCY, I need to steal diapers and break the law". Have another beer dude...

Sure, and I cannot dispute, there are many instances of selfless people helping others. I in my heart that I would one of these people. That's the way I was raised. But I am becoming more and more convinced that I (should I say "WE"?) are the exception.

Society is getting better and better? Drugs. Crime. They have been holding steady, that is good. But I'm not talking about murders. I'm talking about people in general - their "I don't give a shit attitude" about anyone else but themselves. Why are we improving as a nation? Well, we are technologically WAY MORE advanced than in 1905...what an assinine assertion! Cars are better, the internet, Satellite TV, we have been to the moon, Voyager past Saturn (incredible pics), the Hubble Telescope, we can fly across the country and connect in less than a few hours, society is improving because we are inventing and discovering and making better things. But attitude wise, we are a bunch of idiots in general (present company excluded!). hehe

No comments: