12.13.2005

Back after a short hiatus

It has been a while since I've posted, and that has not been because Tilam, as usual, has inserted his size 6 feet (you know what they say about a man's foot size) into his big mout', but because I've been extremely busy with the holiday season coming up.

Okay, so that aside, here are my current musings and rantings:

Duke is the real deal, I believe that Texas was the over-rated team. How can you NOT somehow handle JJ Reddick?! My gosh, it's not like he sneaks up on you, the guy has been in the papers and on the news for what, this entire decade? Allowing him to drop 41 on your ass was a egregious lack of proper game planning...

Goodbye Ron Artest. Goodriddance Ron Artest. You're a self-centered locker room cancer, Ron Artest.

Who'd have expected the Vikings Defense (yes, the VIKING DEFENSE) to step up and dominate like they have been?! Of course, Brad Johnson is back and putting up points with the offense, so what has changed in Minnesota? Honestly, I have no frikkin clue! ROFL It certainly isn't Mike Tice's coaching skill. But my Vikes are winning and I will not complain - breathe down the necks of da Bears a little more boys! Next week: a tough test with the Steelers.

Where is TO? Throwing a failed birthday bash for himself it seems...

Ugueth Urbina...welcome to prison. Note so self: if you hack at poeple with a machete and try to set them on fire, you will do time...

World Cup...Well, gee, here's a surprise, the US is in the toughest bracket (at least world ranking-wise), with the Czech's and US being the top 2 seeds (#2 and #8) in group E. And, the US has by FAR the toughest 3 opponents (world ranking-wise) than ANYONE else when you look at the other 3 teams in their bracket. Tougher than #9 seed England (total ranking of opponents: 104), #5 seed France (damm the frogs, with 126, by far the easiest), and #6 Spain (106). Boy, for a random draw, it seems again that the US got the big stiff in terms of group members. Host Germany is only seeded #16, which is a surprise. Group C is going to be tough (you can, perhaps, make a case for this one being the toughest bracket, but it DOES contain world #41 Ivory Coast and world #47, Serbia&Montenegro), with the world #'s 3 & 4 (Netherlands and Argentina) but it should be a cake-walk for the Argentines, since every World Cup the Dutch are a high seed and consequently choke the chicken.

So I might have to replace my inherent cynicism of the fabled "do not call list", after Direct TV was slapped with a $5.35 million fine for violating it. WHOA, the FTC showing some teeth. You go get 'em boys!

So Tookie Williams, the famed founder of the Crips was executed today for the murder of 4 poeple in 1979. I realize that he was reformed, and took the time to speak out against gangs and gang violence, but that has to be only the second half of his legacy. He was convicted and sentenced to death row, and paid for his crimes in the manner that our judicial system directed. Nothing like a stint on death row to make a man repent and speak out against his crimes. I prefer to remember Tookie as the man who DID realize his mistakes, and encouraged people to avoid them. However, you did the crime, you must do the punishment. I applaud his message, but like a child, simply saying "I'm sorry and it was wrong" should not preclude you from facing the consequences. I only hope that his message has reached his intended audience loud and clear.

FEMA is a clusterf**k of an organization. That is pretty much all I have to say about that, and really all that needs to be said..

That's pretty much the good rantings that I can do here...

On a holiday note. After a long and arduous process, it seems that Mrs Thew and I will be welcoming an addition to the family sometime mid-2006. Here's to hoping that he or she has all the mother's good looks and none of the father's cantankerous personality.

And a holiday season wish to Tilam and his brood. As one of my best friends in the whole world, for Christmas I wish him all the health, wealth, and happiness that life has to offer - here's to hoping that when we play golf in 2006, he will actually beat me...

No comments: