6.26.2006

Aussies & English

I might have to tread VERY lightly here, but I just don't see the foul called on the Australians in the league as some of the others that have been made to date.

Okay, Grosso "embellished" but the ref was not out of line in calling for the PK. And do not tell me that you don't make the call with 15 seconds left - the referee should NEVER look at the watch to determine the call.

I will need to take a look again at the replay from YouTube, but let me cast blame in a different direction. What the hell was Neill thinking going to the ground??? Whenever you slide tackle across the travel of play, you set yourself up for this call. Stand up, clear it out and give away the CK. Soccer is played on your feet, not on your arse.

I do wholeheartedly agree that this was a crappy way for the Socceroos to go, but I also don't see this call being as bad as some.

Let the name calling begin...

***

On another subject, what is it with all the England bashing? From the British press to Alexi Lalas to PowerLineBlog have had a field day on the Boys.

Let me state that other then a natural affection for the Anglosphere, I have no particular love or hate for the English. But I think they have been doing what it takes to win and move on. They have been solid, though not imaginative, and have been doing just enough to beat their opponents.

They are facing the match against Portugal without losing anyone to cards (Portugal will be down two starters); have been relatively injury free (with obvious apologies to Michael Owen); certainly have not been dominated by anyone and with Rooney looking better with each touch.

Further, to plagiarize from a comment I made elsewhere: I do not understand all the antagonism toward Beckham. It seems to me that he has had a pretty good tournament. 1 goal (plus the own goal off of his kick) plus 2 assists - more than the whole US team can say.

The guy is 31 and reminds me of Lawrence Taylor in his later years with the Giants. He has lost a step, but commands attention on the field and will occasionally show a flash of what made him an all world player. The goal he scored was beautiful...EVERYONE knew it was coming, but he still pulled it off.

Paul Mirengoff (an Everton fan for God’s sake) stated: “England prevailed…, but for the fourth straight match did not play anywhere close to the level required to challenge for the Cup.” Three more underwhelming 1-0 wins and they are hoisting the Cup.

No comments: