6.23.2006

Post Awards Analysis

Calder Trophy - SPOT ON! :)
Selke Trophy - SPOT ON! :)
Hard Trophy - SPOT ON! :)
Pearson Trophy - 1/2 & 1/2 here - I said I'd vote for Thornton but the league will favor Jagr.
Vezina Trophy - SPOT ON! :)
Norris Trophy - Swing and a Miss! Listrom is skilled but he wins more based on reputation of Detroit I think. You cannot question the guy's skill, but good faction and having won this 3 times before I think gave him a boost in the voting.
Adams Trophy - Swing and a Miss! I chose Laviolette for a few reasons, but his standing as the 'Canes coach has quite a bit to do with it. Considering the fact that the 'Canes weren't picked to make the playoffs, much let win the Cup, I'd say he did to exceed the preseason predictions than Lindy Ruff. HOWEVER, Ruff did a fantastic job with Buffalo, and is deserving as well. Close vote, 1 point difference. Ruff said it best though - "I'd trade him the point for that big silver cup he has over there". Look for Buffalo to be a contender next year as well.
Lady Byng Trophy - Swing and a Miss! I have no clue on this award. I guess it means "sportsmanship" on the ice, instead of quality person and sportsman on and off the ice? Not really sure. I like Brad Richards. But Datsyuk is a fine choice, and based on him having the least penalty minutes, well, umm, congratulations.

So, all told, 8 awards, I hit 4 1/2 of 'em. Better than the local weatherman.

*****

Chubby scored 2 goals yesterday! Lemme tell ya, despite the fact that he's following Diego Maragona into the "ex-soccer stars with expanding waistlines" club, Ronaldo can still turn on a dime and blast a rocket or drop a header into a square foot of space. Don't make him run, but find him in a miniscule open space and the guy can launch the ball into the net. So even as a model for Chunky Soup he's as dangerous as they come.

And OMG, kudos to the HOT Brazilian soccer fan chick who watched the game with us. Woo Woo! Thanks for the eye candy in the middle of the World Cup.

I agree with Jason Whitlock. Mark Cuban needs to be dealt with. His coach must be dealt with. But sorry, Mark, your team has already been dealt with....

Am I the only one kind of tired of Roger Clemen's shtick? It seems like each year it's "well, I'm not sure if I'm going to retire, I'll let you know". DECIDE early, not when you feel like it! Leaving the Astros hanging while you play with the kids and fish and hunt isn't cool. I don't care WHAT you've earned as a 300 game winner and such, you have more class than to ack like a primadonna. Of course, if the Astros didn't bend over and grab their ankles for him, this probably would have never taken place anyway...

No comments: