12.15.2006

Baseball HoF

Who I would like to see and who will get in are two different things.

I agree with Thew that Ripkin Jr. and Gwynn are shoo-ins. Top talent and good guys. I think Jim Rice is deserving, but will not make it, and that is probably the case with Alan Trammell (I would say he was a better Tiger then Morris). (Though I think Trammell makes it before Rice.)

Donny Baseball would, in a fair world, get in, but won't. And I am sad to see Steve Garvey miss the HoF train. Gossage and OH will get a look, but a brief one.

Now, for McGuire. I think he should make it. He was arguably the first "super slugger," but if the voters read the words "steroid slugger" instead, he loses. Unlike Bonds, McGuire was a big boy from the get-go and McGuire used a non-banned substance, so I think he should be fine.

Here is a question: are steroids different from a corked bat?

No comments: