12.20.2006

Around the Horn - Special Year End Edition

Last HoF comment. Jeff Bagwell just retired from the Astros. I would say he is a near lock for the HoF.

As usual, I will leave the NHL commentary to our resident Goon, Thew. My only point is that I think that hockey (like soccer) offers better player comparisons because of the relative stability of the game and equipment over the years. No major rule changes (ala the DH) and no big equipment changes (ala golf), so maybe it is more appropriate then in other sports. (I am not saying it IS, just moreso.)

The Nothin' But Assholes league. Too much said already.

In the MLB, there seems to be much smoke, but I am not sure how much fire. I am happy to see Pettitte back with the Bombers, but I am not sure how much he will bring to the table given his health problems. Suffice to say the Yankees-Red Sox will be fun again.

Bode Miller is back on top of the Skiing World Cup standings. I am not sure who cares, but it would be nice for this guy to turn his life around.

In soccer, you have got to like the efforts of Didier Drogba for Chelsea. In the consummate team sport, this guy seems to be carrying the team with clutch play and goals. Here is the Everton match review including Drogba's goal. Funny bit of commentary at the end concerning the "poor" defending. Balderdash! If Alan Stubbs, the Everton defender, pulls up tight, Drogba runs right by him. You don't play that tight at 35 yards. To call it a botched defense unfairly discredits the goal.

Finally, in the only important sports news, several SI swimsuit models offer their take on the 20 Best Looking Athletes male & female. I will say you can tell the panel were women, because I think they blew the female list. My challenge to Thew (which I will post on in the next day or two) is: Name Your Top 20.

Game On.

No comments: