11.07.2006

Election 2006 Part V

Okay, Election Day is upon us. First off…VOTE. As many of you know, I am a victim of taxation without representation…I am a Massachusetts Republican. I actually consider myself a Libertarian more then a Republican, but there really is not a category for a middle American voter.

I am an issues voter, usually focused on low taxes; free trade and other “free economy” policies. Of course, in the last few elections, I have voted based on the candidates’ stance on the War of Terror. (See Orson Scott Card.) I don’t think Iraq is going badly RELATIVE to other wars and RELATIVE to the alternative of withdrawal. Further, I am not sure that there is an obvious answer to what it will take to win beyond “time.”

But, we have not had a successful attack on US soil since 2001. While I am more then happy to give bi-partisan credit for the efforts immediately after September 11th, my concern is that the Democrats have lost their will to win. Forgetting how we got here, we have no alternative, but to see it through. On this issue, the Democrats, led by its loudest voices (Kerry, Kennedy, Dean, Reid) are very clear where they stand: cut and run.

I am hopeful, if the Democrats take the Congress that grown-ups will start asserting leadership, but I am far more concerned that the Left will take the results as a confirmation that the US wants to bail on Iraq and retreat to its borders. That will be a mistake, and very probably a tragic one.

The terrorists have spoken...vote Democrat.

No comments: