11.16.2006

Uncle Miltie

I will do a post on the Congressional elections, soon, but I interrupt politics to talk economics.

Milton Friedman passed away last night. Friedman had a direct influence in my life. As the founder of the Chicago School of Economics, he was the driving force in the replacement of Keynesian economics as the prevailing economic theory with monetarism. He won the Nobel Prize for Economics in 1976 while at the University of Chicago.

As a Economic major from the University of Chicago, I spent 4 years being indoctrinated by a host of Friedman disciples...it was the greatest learning experience of my life.

UPDATE: I am doing Mr. Friedman a huge disservice by implying that he was simply an economist. His book, "Free to Chose," describes a moral and political system as much as an economic system. Milton Friedman was one of the great thinkers of our time. (See Joe's Dartblog for an interview on Libertarianism.)

No comments: