3.13.2007

One Quickie on Coaching

I live in a mid-size town in Massachusetts. We have a relatively strong youth sports program and one thing it does is try and keep the level of coaching high. I have coached every fall and spring at least one team for eight straight years, and have seen a great improvement in the level of coaches. (I do not consider myself a great coach. My strength is identifying talent and directing that talent on the field to maximum success. My weakness is that I get emotional. Too emotional for my tastes, especially in soccer.)

In youth soccer, it now requires coaches to go to clinics and get certified depending on age. I must say, I am in favor of this though it is a pain.

In baseball, you must apprentice as a coach for Little League. Yes, apprentice. This, I think, is a bit much.

No comments: