5.21.2006

Days of Thunder

Through the generosity of my wonderful wife, I had an opportunity to attend the Richard Petty Driving School this past weekend. Basically, it's the opportunity for a bunch of shluffs like myself to drive a NASCAR automobile. Ah, well, to be honest, I believe they are Busch Series cars, but a 600HP 350ci V8 isn't anything you'd see on the morning commute, that's for sure.

So here's my assessment:

If you have a chance, DO IT! This is the 3rd most fun thing I've done in a car, the 2nd most fun in a moving vehicle (no, I'm not going to tell you, so don't ask!). It is a rush and something you don't normally get to do, so I'd advise anyone who's ever wanted to drive fast while sitting in maddening rush hour traffic, make an appointment.
I hit a top speed of 139 mph. Frankly, I'm a little disappointed, I know I could have gone faster. But I am given a pace car, and frankly didn't know how to get him to speed up, short of bump drafting him. But 139 is still pretty decent for a rookie. Driving around the oval, feeling the horsepower, the centrifugal force on the turns, and the jump of the engine as you gun it down the straightaway, wow, it's genuinely FUN!

Here's what I learned:

I have a need for speed, which is why I tend to get frustrated and road rage during my morning commute, when it takes me roughly an hour to drive 21 miles to work.
Those ovals have a real bank on them - yeah, you see it on TV but until you've felt it in an automobile, feel the hugging of the tires, the tilt of the car, you don't realize how much 24 degrees feels as a racer.
At 140mph, the ride is over too fast - the first of 8 laps is a "feeling out" lap, then you really get going. But you're blowing and going and hooting and hollering and really trying to drive the car, then they wave the checkered flag and it's over. Damm...
If you consider this from a professional driver's perspective, you can add roughly 40mph or so to my speed on the straightaways; since they are only 2000 feet or so long, it really gives you a sense of passing skill, since the window of opportunity is much shorter than TV coverage might lead you to believe.

No comments: