2.26.2006

The Things We Do for Love

My wife, who is a beautiful statuesque 5'9" irish redhead, once told me "you don't ever have to purchase me flowers on any day, they just last for a week then die". So, being the man that I am, I took her words to heart. Bad move. So this past Valentine's Day, I purchased her a dozen overpriced red roses, dinner at a swank local bistro, and tickets to see Bon Jovi in concert. But what takes the cake in our marriage is the exact thing I'm doing while writing this blog...sitting with her watching reality tv - and not just reality, the cheesiest, made for tv spectacle, "Dancing with the Stars". Somewhere a tattooed biker with pieces of food in his beard and a beer belly you can fit a basketball in is wretching. I will be sure to check my manhood after this, but such is the thing we men do for love...and booty points. But 30 mins of Stacy Kiebler is a small consolation that I will live with.

Ok, on to more salient points:

Lindsay Jacobellis - you are the BEST IN THE WORLD and the other people who raced with you know it - they weren't within a long distance phone call near the end. One little mistake should not define you, regardless if it was in the Olympics. Stick it to 'em in 2010.

Bode Miller - goodbye. Have a fun free fall into obscurity. If we're lucky we'll never hear any of your bullshit again. Say goodbye to your endorsements. I hope you had fun "partying like the Olympics", because you are done.

USA Hockey - you are passionless, apathetic, old, and slow. I'd rather lose with young, hungry players than with old and tired relics like Mike Modano, who used to be a classy player until his petulant little hissy fit of an exit. Chris Chelios, you are the only bright spot in a sea or darkness.

Zach Lund - sorry you got busted for Propecia. It was legal for a while, but it's illegal now. And YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN! You should have been up on the latest laws and rules, missing that was unforgiveable, and the result is a disqualification and suspension. Come back bald but better.

Michelle Kwan - with grace and dignity, you left us. American figure skating is better for having you be a part of it.

Shani Davis - maybe I am not completely up on this, but cut it with the ghetto attitude. You're an Olympian, not a black Olympian. Enough, the shtick is getting old.

Joey Cheek - I bow down to your integrity and generosity. Donating $45k then challenging corporate america to match it is mind boggling in this day of selfish and whiny athletes.

I don't understand the flood of "X Games" sports in the Olympics, but they are certainly exciting (snowboard xcross - wow). Frankly, since the other sports are for the most part pretty boring (except for hockey), the Olympics are only interesting for the first few days.

Curling - OH MY GOSH I've become interested in this sport. I like it. That makes me a boring person, I guess. But Pete Fensen and the USA Curling program made a MAJOR statement in beating the Brits for the bronze medal. Congrats to Pete!

The one beef I read and had myself was the simple fact that the Olympics lose their attractiveness for the TV audience when the results are posted on the Internet 8 hours before we get to watch them. Suspense gone. Desire to view the games...gone.

UCONN - 'Nova today; sure, revenge is sweet, and 'Nova made the Huskies look lost in the last meeting. But the most important thing to take away from this game was the simple fact that a QUALITY front court of big men will make 'Nova suffer. Tilam will have more insight into who has a deep and tall frontcourt, but I believe that today's game shows that 'Nova's quickness is great and is a force, but that they are vulnerable to a deep and quality set of towers, and Josh Boone and Hilton Armstrong (with backups Nelson and Adrian) proved that today.

Florida - these guys were #2 at one point? I didn't see much passion, much verve, much go-get-'em today, as a result they lose to Alabama (unranked Alabama). Look for them to NOT make the Sweet Sixteen in the big dance.

No comments: