2.27.2006

UConn 'Nova II

This was a very good game for the Huskies. My big knock on the Huskies is that they lose interest occasionally. They lost interest in UConn 'Nova I and let Villanova back in to win it. Not this time. Despite a couple of lapses, the Huskies looked very strong. The game was closer then the 14 point margin, but it was a game were digging out of a 6 point hole looked nearly impossible.

So, it is back to Devils #1 and Huskies #2. As I have maintained, you could make an argument for that or UConn #1 and Duke #2, but what has impressed me is that you can easily see Villanova in the title game as well.

All the arguments are moot until the Tournament. I still suggest that UConn and Villanova will be best prepared coming out of conference play and the tournaments because of the strength of the Big East. The "weakness" of the ACC, Big 12 and CUSA hurts Duke, Texas and Memphis, but all have a legitimate shot. I am not a big fan of Gonzaga, though Morrison is a player, and GW really has not shown me anything exciting, so I am looking at Pitt, Georgetown, and the Big Ten pair of OSU and Illinois. (But WHAT is up with the Big Ten???)

It would be a crying shame if Notre Dame did not get into the Tournament, though I do not think they will at this point. That team comes to play every night and has had enough heart breakers to last a lifetime, the latest against UConn. But the Selection does not reward "close, but."

One final UConn note, in the 'Nova loss and ND game, it was the rapid three's that got 'Nova and ND back into the game. I wonder how this plays out in a Duke game.

No comments: