8.03.2006

Mel's Mea Culpa

Mel Gibson has published not one, but two apologies. The second specifically speaks to Jewish people (okay, I have a beef, the term "Jews" seems derogatory along the lines of Juden and the "Jewish people" seems condescending).

So we will see. Gibson's anti-Semitism has had no consequences thus far, but this incident is different. Some Jews will accept the apology and some will not. Some non-Jews (my wife for example) will be ready to forgive, while others (your truly) need to see him live the life he proclaims he want to live.

My problem with Mel Gibson is not his faith (I am Catholic), but his hypocrisy. I respect orthodox practices (whether Christian, Jews, Muslim, whatever) when they live the life they proclaim. (Okay, I am not sure what life real orthodox Muslims would live...kill all infidels?) But Gibson doesn't. He a drunken womanizer who feels he is superior to everyone else (remember he has said his wife is going to hell because she is not Catholic). Was that Christ's life? Did he throw back a dozen goblets, fondle Mary Magdalene and laugh at the Jews, Romans and Arabs? If so, I missed that Chapter in the Bible.

Being pious is wonderful, assuming your own piety while living like an asshole is pathetic.

No comments: