11.22.2004

Beer me Homer, cuz you MUST be drinking

NHL:
You're tabbing expansion as the issue? Expansion teams aren't doing TOO badly, as far as I know. Atlanta, Tampa Bay (Lord Stanley's caretakers Mr College Hoops fan), Minnesota are doing pretty well, TYVM. Sure, you find a little dilution of the product - I think there might be a larger separation in skill between the top line players and the 4th line grinders - but I'm all for a larger appeal to the product, which is what it needs. I don't think that expansion is the issue here.
Why are teams losing money? Well, sure it's because of the idiot owners ponying up HUGE dollars for people, thus setting the bar too high in yet another sport (read: NBA, MLB, etc), causing salaries to rise across teh board as a result, causing a loss of money. BUT, and I take the Delta Air Lines pilots grudging unselfishness as an example here, which is better; a reduction in salary to keep your company in business and you in a job, or playing 2nd line penalty killer for the Macon Whoopee in the ECHL? (NOTE: i have nothing against the Whoopee, I just used their name because it's a GREAT name).

NBA
Umm, wow, where to begin...I still hate the NBA.
First, it is disgusting to see fans behave as they did in Detroit the other night. Drunken fat old men with a corn dog in one hand and a beer in the other shouting profanities at millionaires, especially the spoiled, selfish, thug NBA players, is a recipe for tension. Throwing objects at the players is despicable in ANY sport (see EPL and the english soccer hooligans).
BUT, that does not in any way excuse the actions of Ron Artest, Jermaine O'Neal, and Stephen Jackson. Artest is done for the year, and that's too bad; he's a million dollar talent with a 5 cent head. Why do we continue to purchase tickets for this league? It has a LONG list of unmarried fathers (Shawn Kemp), drug abusers (Damon Stoudamire), criminals (et al), yet it appeals to the young. I don't understand this.
Oh, and here's a suggestion: STOP SELLING ALCOHOL AT GAMES!!!

Today's TRIVIA - whatever happened to Sebastian Telfair?

MLB
Yes, I used the word choke. And it is the truth. Why? Because the Yankees were up 3-0 and 5 outs away, then lost it all in titantic-like fasion. Don't get me wrong, Boston played great, loose, and with passion, something that players in New York tend to not do because of the pressure (not you Shef and Godzilla), and the way they steamrolled the Cards was impressive, but that much of a collapse is a choke, imho. The Yankees stunk it up when they needed to be good. That simple. *gag*

Tiger
You got it backwards Tilam. The other players on the tour gain confidence when Tiger went into a slump, NOT the other way around. They might be a little better players because of hard work, but do you think that the tour would be feeling so chipper and giddy if Tiger were his old self? Tell me that they would be so happy if Eldrick were still the Tiger of 2002...

UBS Cup
WTF is this? Who knows? And who cares?

NCAA Football
Clemson, South Carolina - WOW, integrity in a Div 1 school?! Kudos to those universities for not tolerating yet MORE abhorrent player behavior!


NFL
I'm still not "ooo-ing and ahhh-ing" like the rest of you over Michael Vick
I think Philly wins the Super Bowl - TO is the difference this year.
The Vikings still suck defensively - and we'll never go anywhere by playing soft D. And without Randy Moss, we HAVE to play hard D - Minnesota's defense is as soft as mashed potatoes.

Golf
Lehman as Ryder Cup captain - I'm sorry, you gotta explain this one to me. Not that he's bad, but I have to admit, I thought there were better choices.
Oh, and speaking of Mark O'Meara not being chosen, do you think Tiger's going to play inspired in the next Ryder Cup? HAH! He's pretty passionless in Ryder Cup matches as it is, without his best buddy O'Mear at the helm, it'll be a coup if Lehman can inspire Tiger to play with any type of pulse.

US Soccer
I tell you, some of our home grown young start are really starting to show promise. The US will be for real and a contender the next time the World Cup is played, trust me on that one. We probably won't win, but we will go deep into the medal round - not that anyone in the US will care. And that's a shame.
Freddy Adu is too young - skilled or not, I saw him being moved around by bigger and stronger, and more savvy MLS defenders. He shouldn't have played until at least 16, to let him physically mature. But dat boy can play!

NCAA Hoops
OMG, without hockey to watch, stay tuned blog fans, for the fun and carnage that is Thew vs Tilam in NCAA Hoops. Since I have no NHL to distract me, it is ON! I am currently digesting the SI Hoops preview (good quality reading for those Sunday mornings on the throne), and I agree that Tilam and I should discuss (read: argue) a top 10 list each week. Grab some popcorn and a coke, sit back, and admire the fireworks! :)
The ACC scares me as well. But Big Least I think is due for an off year.

Rap
I'm white, can't jump, can't hip, have no hops, can't rap. I have no street cred, not intimate knowledge of rap beyond "Baby Got Back". But in the true cause of the blogger, I can jump on the soapbox and rant and rave...and I will, trust me.
Eminem is getting on my nerves - why? Because I'm starting to dig his music.
50 Cent's "In Da Club" is on my playlist - that's a catchy hook too.
Oh, and I have "Ice Ice Baby" on my mixer too. Yes, THAT Vanilla Ice. :)

No comments: