11.24.2004

Scrum Rats

NHL:
I don't disagree with the NHL diversifying its base, but the league has too many teams. I thought they should have moved some teams around. I am sympathetic to having pro hockey in Canada, but if they cannot support a team that went top the Stanley Cup, then maybe they do not deserve a pro team.

Players Behavior:
I am not sure that players ever behaved better, but they were more insulated. (I do not buy that the old days were more civil.) I will say that the standard of behavior is changing all over the place. Look at any town's youth sports during a weekend. Maybe the under 8 year old games are civil, but it can get really ugly on the sidelines.

I read that sports are the only thing that men can get emotional about, but it is getting out of hand.

I have a tough time getting all angry on Artest. (He's a jerk, but I have plenty of other reasons for disliking him.) The Pacers were blowing out the Pistons, you cannot not hear want was being said to Artest, and then someone provokes him by throwing beer on him. I blame the fans. IT IS JUST A GAME. If you can not keep a perspective, take up knitting.

It is also about personal responsibility. Unfortunately, that is not a quality admired anymore.

Yankees:
It is the Cure of the Rocket...traded Clemens and the Yanks go almost 5 years without a WS ring.

Tiger:
Could it be that Tiger was just playing unconscious for that stretch? Maybe now we are seeing the real Tiger?

College Sports:
I admire your naivete. One cannot expect the leaders of the premier educational institutions to exhibit any moral standard. (See "personal responsibility" above.)

Punishing an institution is like punishing a dog. A dog does not remember the act that you are punishing it for (I am told), so you must mold future behavior only. So how do you teach boundaries when the guilty go unpunished?

You can't.

Rap:
Enough said. Rolling Stone came out with the Top 500 songs of all time. No KISS. "Imagine" by John Lennon at Number 3 before any Beatles song. Tough to argue that a Dylan song should not be number 1. Nothing by Creedence Clearwater Revival until Number 99! Highest self promotion: "Bo Diddley" by Bo Diddley at Number 62.

Just starting the discussion.

No comments: