11.25.2004

In celebration of Tilam (on TURKEY day, hehe, get it?)

NHL
Again, too many teams is the argument spouted by those that think the product is too diluted and no longer exciting because of the overall "drop in skill level". The simple economics of revenues in the Canadian dollar and salaries in the US dollar is what is killing the Canadian teams. Only if you contract all the Canadian teams will THAT problem go away. Will that solve fan interest? Yep, in Canada. In the US, we simply MUST be able to generate more TV revenue. I hate to say it, but higher scoring and exciting physical play will go a long way toward more appeal.
But you will STILL have a small portion of the player base demanding a selfish labor agreement, not realizing that a) you are NOT working right now (unless you count sweeping floors at the local high school), b) your product has TERRIBLE revenues from TV, and c) you are officially alientating almost EVERYONE but your die hard fans. What worked for the Delta pilots union CAN work for the NHL, but it seems that in the best mold of selfish pampered high paid athletes, they cannot see the big picture, only what is in the mirror.

Behavior
Yep, I've been a my children's soccer game where parents were just poorly behaved. You see this all over the place.But that guy who threw the beer can CLEARLY be seen pulling Ron Artest off the wrong guy, then rabbit punching him in the head from behind - so he's a drunken coward with a criminal record. I hope he gets arrested (AGAIN!) and charged by the police dept for assault. Makes me sick to be an NBA fan - oh wait, the NBA sucks, I'm not a fan. hehe
As far as Artest (and my wife vehemently disagrees with me), I also can't fault him THAT much for responding to that sort of attack. He needs to be more in control, but he was lying down on the table avoiding any action. I just wish he had a few more seconds to beat the crud outta that guy...

Tiger
I think yes, he was unconscious during, say, 2002, but he was SO able to dial in then. Now with a hot swedish wife, and distractions off the course, and of course, Butch isn't his coach any more (BAD MOVE TIGER!), he cannot summon "Sunday Tiger". I hope he does again.
Oh, and frankly, from my married man's perspective, I'm not completely sure that Amy Mickelson isn't actually hotter than Mrs. Woods.
PHIL! HFS PHIL!! 59!!! 2005 is your breakout year bro...I predict another major!

USC/Clemson
First of all, neither of these are "premier educational institutions". hehe
Second of all, I really don't expect a full scale change of heart, but don't you think it's nice to have a little victory in this?

Tennis
Federer is the REAL DEAL, I think he might win the Slam next year.
Maria Sharapova (and her dad) prove that while you can be cute, nice, and a good tennis player, you can't get away with more idiotic behavior and a lack of class.
OMG, my 13 year old daughter has noticed Andy Roddick. He is her athelete crush, only slightly behind Johnny Resnick of the Goo Goo Dolls. Well, JR is a pretty man, even *I* think he's kinda hot.

Sebastian Telfair
Umm, I think he's riding the pine for a pro team. Not bad for an SI cover boy from a few years ago. Bye Bye, Telly, have a nice life as a scrub.

NASCAR
I think they got something good going here with the "Race for the Cup" format. Exciting, even though I'm not, by nature, a racing fan.

Music
What, no Motley Crue? No Poison? How can we NOT give credit to the hair bands of the 80's who brought us heavy metal BIMBO's. Short skirts, high heels, bustiers in public...WOW, what a great time in a man's life.
Personally, I think that Judas Priest's rendition of Johnny B. Goode was WAY better than Chuck's, but that's just me.
Stairway to Heaven at number 31? Hmm, I remember lo these many moons ago when that song always won the local radio show's poll at the #1 song of all time.
For Thew, it's easy to argue that Dylan should NOT be number 1. I'm just not a fan of him. How about "Baby Got Back" by Sir Mixalot. Talk about getting some bootays shaking.

This Thanksgiving's List of IDIOTS!
Michael Phelps - a DUI? at what, 19?! Did you think you would be the first athelete to drink and drive and get away with it? YOU IDIOT!
Kobe Bryant - do I even need to 'splain Lucy?
Latrell Sprewell - Spree, say it ain't so! You were such a great addition to the T'Wolves, now you're completely pissing off your teammates by saying "why should I do anything to help this team, they ain't giving me an extension and I'm trying to feed my family". On FOURTEEN MILLION a YEAR! YOU IDIOT!
SI.COM - ENOUGH with the damm AOL/TimeWarner popup ads. I had to close SIX of them, and I didn't even move away from the home page. YOU IDIOTS!

But we end on a good note:
On this american holiday of Thanksgiving, Thew wishes you and yours health and prosperity, and the best of all things in life - except for you terrorist cowards and your lapdogs, the... well, you know who you are.

1 comment:

yoni cohen :: http://yocohoops.com said...

Hey-

Came across your blog today. Great stuff. Couldn't agree with you more about Sebas Teflair. He shouldn't have gone straight to the pros.

Noticed you were a college basketball fan. Hoping you could (create a blogroll and) add a link to my College Basketball Blog, http://collegeball.blogspot.com. I'd very much appreciate a link on your site.

And would gladly return the favor, adding a link from my site to yours.

Thanks!

Yoni Cohen, http://collegeball.blogspot.com
College Basketball Blog