10.01.2007

No HOPE for the Wicked

Greg Ryan broke the most cardinal rule in all sports, according to the words of wisdom stated by Crash Davis "A player on a streak always respects the streak".

By benching Hope Solo for the Brazil match, Ryan messed with chemistry, a recipe for success, and the comfortability of a team that was used to playing with Hope between the pipes, not Bri. Brianna Scurry, even at 36, is still a top flight goaltender, but it was clearly the wrong move - but this was known before the final lineup took the pitch against Marta and the Brazilians. What, a 50 game unbeaten streak? Strong goaltending in the early rounds of the WWC? Didn't matter. Ryan inserted a warrior, true dat, but an older and slower and rustier warrior against what could arguably be the top women's team in the world - certainly top 5. Tilam speaks the truth, the coach made a bad move and we paid for it, in an embarassing way. Perhaps he tried to get into the Brazilian minds by starting the US goalie that had beaten them in the last 2 matches, but this day I think that talent should have taken precedence, not mind games.

HOWEVER, that doesn't excuse Hope Solo's conduct. In any way. She was told not to speak to the media for any reason, and while I admit that I'd be frustrated and upset at this type of decision, he tirade and public expression of dissent was inexcuseable, and I'm not surprised she was dismissed from the team for the Norway match. I would have done the same. I am disappointed that on a team of really selfless "WE" players, she came out and publicly criticized the situation, her coach, and essentially, Brianna Scurry; perhaps she's just like the rest of the "me" athlete generation. What will be interesting to see is a) the fallout of her career with the WNT, and b) her relationship with the team even if she DOES stay. Some players have stated that this won't impact the team relationships, but...

Give Greg Ryan credit for stepping up to the plate and taking the fallout, though.

In any event, for those of you who watched the championship game, the 2 goals that the Germans scored were, in my opinion, very soft goals. Both balls went UNDER the arms of the diving Brazilian goalie, and a better (read: top notch) goalie would have made those stops, I believe. Stereotypical Brazil...

Hockey season has begun...YAY!

October baseball is coming up VERY soon...YAY! My prediction is that the Yankees and Angels will play for the AL crown. I'm going with trends, and the Yankees have owned Cleveland this year (6-0), while the Angels are too good and the Sawx not good enough right now to take that series. I don't like the Angels against the Yankees, it's a matchup that scares me, but I'm still going to be an optimist and say Yanks in 6. I have no idea about the NL - except for the fact that changes are coming down the pike for the Mets after their debacle of a Sept. Gonna have to call my Uncle Laszlo and laugh at him, he's a die hard Mets fan.

In the "taking one for the team unnecessarily", I present Woody Austin. Did his best to extricate himself from a water hazard, promptly lost his balance and tumbled in head first for a quick dip (and the water in Canada is FRIKKIN' COLD this time of the year!), and STILL lost the hole. BUT, he also birdied 16, 17, & 18 to half the match. WAY TO GO WOODIE! (Hmm, how many times have I said that to myself....well, never mind).

Who's turn is it for the top 10 challenge? I believe it's Tilam...

No comments: