7.27.2007

Firing the Movie Critic Bullitt(s)

I wouldn't say "screwed up", I'd merely offer different points and theatrical fodder.

"Stand by Me" is a movie for guys...who are just entering puberty. It's not a movie I'd throw in the DVD player and watch with a bunch of men, scratching burping farting and oogling. "Die Hard" is a great flick, but it's still off my radar, mostly because of Bonnie Bedelia's cocaine snorting dickhead co-worker. But "yippie ki yay mother f*****r" is a great line to repeat when you have the chance. I've never seen "the Magnificent Seven" so I cannot comment on that movie - although it must have been good to have a movie "Seven Samurai" branched from it - or is that the other way around? "Fletch" is a great movie, Chevy Chase was great, but I'd still pick "National Lampoon's Vacation" over this one. "Ben Hur" is awesome, but it's way too long to hold the attention of "guys"...

Okay, you're right, you screwed up badly with "Stand by Me".

So without further adieu, I offer THEW's Top 10 GUY movies...

Tombstone "You die first, get it? Your friends might get me in a rush, but not before I turn your head into a canoe."
Terminator "I'll be back"
Gladiator "Stick a sword into a man's flesh, and they will applaud your for it"
Scarface "Say hello to my little frien'!"
Rollerball "Jonathan!"
Predator "Get to duh choppah!"
Animal House "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid "What do you mean you can't swim - the fall will probably kill ya!"
The Blues Brothers "We're on a mission from God"
Dirty Harry "Do ya feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?"

But since *I* feel there are so many quality movies, here are my honorable mentions.

Troy Heads the list of "conflict" movies - containing battles, wars, fights, as the primary setting or storyline. Next comes Apocalype Now, The Great Escape (TILAM! What was Steve McQueen's nickname in the movie?!), and The Dirty Dozen. Lest we forget our neighbors from down unda, Mad Max also deserves a footnote.

Comedies are well represented above, and with some quality near misses: Monty Python and the Holy Grail is one of the best, and who can not be moved to tears by the Bachelor Party scene at the end of the movie ("Hi, come on in. Drugs to the right, hookers to the left."). Rodney Dangerfield is hilarious in Back to School, never count this classic movie out either.

Deliverance I don't really see as a guy movie, mostly because of the rampant inbreeding insinuations as well and Ned Beatty taking it up the ass ("Squeal like a pig!").

Speaking of that, Raging Bull is a near miss (and I mean NEAR) in addition to having one of the great all-time smackdown lines - "You punch like you take it up the ass". THAT is Oscar material folks. But men beating the hell out of each other can be a common theme in this list, thus an honorable mention to Fight Club.

There has to be some cheese in here as a near miss, Top Gun takes this spot. And even though it's a great movie, a guy movie, and cannot be ignored, Rocky is still slightly cheesy.

Organized crime enters the zip code with a couple of classic movies, old AND new: The Godfather always makes us an offer we can't refuse when asked to watch, while Goodfellas is always asking "Do I amuse you?".

Amazon Mars Babes, Wild Sorority Girls from the Planet Playtex, Wild Things, Debbie Does Dallas, Behind the Green Door, the Devil in Miss Jones, and Deepthroat also cum to mind, but I think that category is sort of ... well, out there.

No comments: