7.27.2007

Top Ten Guy Movies

You know to be fair to Thew, it is easy to sit back and criticize a pioneer. So I thought I would take the liberty and post the next list first. That way he can say something like, "Tilam, that jerk, how could he forget the BEST GUY MOVIE EVER!!!"

I would offer some criteria, while there is nothing more most guys would like to do then watch Neve Campbell and Denise Richards kiss, Wild Things is not a guy movie. Now part of the indication of it being a guy movie may be your wife/girl friend/date says, "Ugh! No way," but that is merely one positive contributing factor.

Okay, so here it goes:

- Stand By Me. This is definitely the definitive guy move for the late-Boomers.

- Deliverance. Dueling banjos. Burt Reynolds (who narrowly missed the last list). Total suspense. It also allows me to grudgingly not put Smokey and the Bandit on the list.

- Dirty Harry. With all the Clint Eastwood movies there have been, especially The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, it is really hard to choose.

- Die Hard. Yippee Ki Yay. Love it the 10th time.

- The Godfather. My homage to James Caan, not Marlon Brando.

- The Great Escape. Beats out some outstanding war movies like Apocalypse Now, The Longest
Day, Saving Private Ryan, Midway and To Hell and Back. There are a bunch more great war flicks, including my sleeper favorite, Rambo II.

- Gladiator. Beats out Ben Hur and 300 in the same genre. Leaving Charlton Heston off the list is just hard.

- The Magnificent Seven. This is freakin' heart-breaking because it means I leave Gary Cooper (High Noon) and John Wayne (The Alamo, True Grit, Rio Lobo) off the list. Something is not right.

- Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid. "Who are those guys?" And Katharine Ross, too.

- Fletch. Sorry, I have to respect the guy comedy...and Caddyshack was on the other list.

Other I thought really hard about are The French Connection, and Bullitt, but there so many more. This was much tougher then the last category.

Thew, I am anxious to hear where I screwed up...

No comments: