12.13.2004

The Gloves are Back On

I did not call you a 13 year old fanboy - an almost 40 year old fan boy, maybe. You are clearly out of my league in terms of hockey knowledge, not doubt, but I do pay attention to hockey like I pay attention to baseball - interest for my team (Bruins) until they are out of it (first round of the playoffs).

You bring up an intersting point generally though, I find myself not paying too much attention to players on any pro team. Sure the stars are there; some special teams (1996-2000 Yankees) and some guys that I have a distant connection with (Craig Conroy, ex-linesmen with Iginla now of the Kings), but overall I do not obsess about rosters. I am sure there are several reasons why. The players move around a bunch, for example.

I also developed too much of a visceral addiction to the joy of playing. The satisfaction I get from the fan experience does not come close. Anyone who has scored the game winning goal, touchdown, run, point, ect. know what I mean. It is a huge thrill. That lingers. For a long time.

Or maybe I am paying too much attention to the wife and kids...

***

As for Kobe, Phil Taylor says it best it best: "How exactly does a man who admitted to committing what became one of the most public acts of adultery in recent memory manage to work up a sense of outrage over a few out-of-line comments?"

Does Bryant understand what an a**hole he looks like? I guess if he did, he wouldn't be Kobe...

***

Chris Lewis of SI has an interesting article on Q-School and whether it is useful or not. I think he misses the point. Q School is open tryouts for the PGA Tour. It enable schmucks like me who have a low handicap and a dream (I have neither, but stay with me here) to take a crack at the bigs. Outlived its usefullness? Not a chance.

No comments: