12.09.2004

Vacation Musings

Welp, I'm on vacation. And as much as I'd like to completely ignore the drivelings that are Tilam's opinions, well, they draw me back like a moth to flame...

Are you KIDDING me? You really think it's about atheletic performance anymore, albeit a NATURAL performance? Nope. It's about the benjamins. No, not BF and his character, it's about his pic on the lettuce, the salad, the almighty $20. I honestly think that in sports, we are hearing the "pinnacle" of natural human performance - how much lower can we move the 100m record, how much higher can we high jump, how many home runs can we hit, etc. The human physiognomy (sp?) is just that it does have limits, and we are very close to the natural limits of human abilities. So, we turn to unnatural improvements. And the fans (and the QUON baby) come in droves. As so many of the records in sports become firmly entrenched, the owners (and players) fear that their product is becoming less interesting and appealling to the fan base because "nothing is a instantly exciting as a home run" to baseball fans, for instance, and so they "tolerate" performance enhancing drugs (the MLB steroid policy is a joke) to ensure fans and revenue.
You think that people play to see small ball, like the Twins play? Even though it's fundamental baseball at it's best? Nope, they pay cash to see Bonds jack one into McCovey Cove.
You want fundamental basketball? Watch the WNBA, they play it purely. Take a trip overseas, watch them play in Europe. But instead, we flock in droves to arenas to see overpaid punks jump high and dunk (Shaq?) and no-look passes (half of which are really fakes) and bricks thrown up by jump shooters (okay, not you Ray Allen and Rip Hamilton).
Ben Johnson turned to steroids to beat Carl Lewis, because he knew that his natural ability wasn't good enough. And even though he's a moron, his quote rings true "The American way wants to see those players do great, hit home runs, and the fans will pay the money to go and see them. It's a business". Hehe, didn't I just say that?
Barry Bonds was an MVP before steroids, now he's gonna be home run champ. Damm right they are going to do what they can to protect him (and fan interest and gate receipts for baseball).

As for Pete Rose, let him in the HoF already. Ty Cobb was a rampant racist. Babe Ruth was a hard partier, and who knows what substances they thought were fun back then? Is he an idiot? Sure. Is he sorry? Not sure, because he's all contrite now that he wants back in baseball and the HoF. But you CANNOT impugne his performance on the field, and he was a great player. I think he's twisted in the wind enough, put him on the ballot.

The Nike Frank ads are the BOMB ("best contact you've had all year Duval!") You know, for a guy who seemed so concerned with his history and legacy to golf, he sure has had a letdown; we do agree that he needs to get back to the Sunday Tiger whose ass I whipped at Tiger Woods 2004, and whose ass I'm gunning for in 2005. That Tiger had it all, and when on and focused, could summon the golf gods to his side. I believe he's going to win a Major again this year as well, but I think it's going to be the Open. In any event, he'll finish top 10 in all 4 Majors IMHO.

We have 2 readers. 3 if you count Opa, but only if he can drag his eyes away from CNNfn and MSN instant messenger. And I still raise an eyebrow, since you never told me you got paid to play semi-pro soccer while in Chicago. I would have thought that this would be a big and exciting thing to a soccer playing family, yet it strangely went by the news wayside. Quite frankly, judging from the parties you told me about, I'm highly skeptical you had time to play in between beer, wimmen, and hangovers. And plugging up the drain in the shower with your buttcheek, but hey, that's a blog for another time!

I must not pay attention to the news, because Pat Tillman's death at the hands of friendly fire was a surprise to me.

So the NHL has accepts the PA's invitation to chat. BFD. If you look at the ESPN poll, 72% of fans STILL think there is going to be no hockey this year. And frankly, I'm THIS close to calling my local team and demanding my season ticket money back. Think: big screen TV.

More Notre Dame stuff. This from the President; "I'm a good soldier and in times of transition, people can disagree," The Sports Business Daily quoted Rev. Edward Malloy as saying at a sports conference in New York. "I don't think there is a lack of goodwill or that anybody else is to be blamed for a racist decision or anything else. I just think there was a lot of pressure in the works." WTF? Did I read that right? Please, TILAM, tell me I'm wrong...did he just say that Willingham's firing was a racist decision?!?! "...anyone else is to be blamed for a racist decision..." OMG, please tell me I missed sumpthin...

Some KUDOs and FAREWELLS, et al:

Vivian Stringer, Rutger's Hoops coach, on her 700th win. In outstanding company, including Pat Summit, Jody Conradt, John Wooden, etc, and top notch college coaches, men's or women's.

Mia Hamm, Julie Foudy, Joy Fawcett...I cannot say "we hardly knew ye", because you ladies were at the forefront of the US women's soccer explosion. You sacrificed, you bled, you won, and most of all, you captured the hearts of so many young women (including my daughter), many of whom were on the field in your last game. I cannot bow deep enough to your greatness.

Deanna Fav-ruh, Thew wishes you health and many years to come after what will hopefully be a successful battle with breast cancer.

No comments: