12.06.2004

Monday Morning Quarterbacking

I'll take credit for the GW scariness, afterall, I did have State and MD in my Hot Top 10. A deep run by GW would not be a surprise. But I also do not like to judge the gamers in the early part of the year. Would Michigan State and MD react the same way in March? That is why I respect the UNCs and Indianas for scheduling tough in the early part of the year. It is a delicate balance.

The UConn-Indiana game was a good game. After starting cold, both teams put in a good showing. UConn SHOULD have won by >10 at home against IU and the Hoosiers SHOULD have taken the game. Who benefits? Indiana certainly knows it can play with the top teams, but will the disappointment of the loss and the way they lost sow the seeds of doubt? UConn needs to wonder why it did not dominate the game more. They should be worried about a small line-up, but they have to like the character their young players showed.

Coaches Calhoun and Davis know how to accent the positive psychological aspects while focusing on the tactical deficiencies. This is a game that will benefit both teams with a W in February and March.

I am not convinced Steelers have the staying power. Sure, Ben Rotheomygodicantspellhisname showed poise, but we will see. My prediction, 2-2 over the last four games. (Of course, I still have doubts about Tom Brady also...)

Are the Colts padding Peyton's stats? Sure. Wouldn't you? It takes so much to get close now a days, I can't blame them and I would do the same. Be a part of history. I am all for it. (Of course, I do feel bad for Marino, who, if memory serves, won exactly 0 Super Bowls.)

As for youth sports, I just can't say that surprises me. It's the parents, we all know who they are. And yes, it is vicarious living. Here's the profile: mildly successful ex-athlete, who never hit it big, but got "oh so close."

But not close enough. Get REALLY close and the scales will fall from your eyes. As someone with experience in semi-pro ball (for one season), I can tell you that it is not truly fun. I was lucky to be the "semi-" part of semi-pro which a good education to fall back on and no delusions of becoming a top player. There were a lot of guys who did not have other options. They fell into two categories: the two guys who loved the game (and would play no matter what), and the remainder for whom the game lost all meaning.

No comments: