12.01.2004

The Presses are Sto...

When Thew mentioned Lou Holtz, I cringed. The I realized that there are many a sports name that I just have a bad visceral reaction to.

Like last night during the Duke-Michigan State game. I was a huge and early Dickie V fan. He, along with John Madden, changed the way that color commentary is done. When you watch Tim McCarver, you are seeing the "classic" color man. Dickie V brought excitement and passion and the occasional insight. He was (and is) a shameless promoter of college hoops. How many broadcasts have I heard him mention 3, 4 or 5 players as THE go to guy; THE point man; THE big man. The fact that he just said, two minutes ago, that Jameer Nelson is the best point guard in the league has no effect on his current position that Chris Thomas holds that honor.

But as Duke went on a run, I could not handle it. The fact that he loves Duke is no secret, but it is getting too thick. Now, I am NOT saying he should lose the passion. I am also NOT saying he remains calm when doing other teams' games. But the difference between his commenting about Tom Izzo and the boys when Michigan State went on a 14-2 run and when Duke reciprocated was night and day. With Michigan State, Dickie V struck the right balance of passion and prose, with Duke he was psychotic.

I do not want Dickie V to calm down, I just want him banned from the ACC games for a year to get some perspective. The game was great; Reddick and Ewing lit it up; but Michigan State handed the game to Duke at the end of the first half.

Come April, I think Tom Izzo's team has a far greater chance of going deep that Coach K's.

BTW, with all due respect to Kansas, Wake, Syracuse and UConn, Georgia Tech looked REAL good. So, here is my feeling at to the Hot Top 10.

1. GT
2. Kansas
3. Syracuse
4. Illinois
5. Wake
6. Oklahoma State
7. - 10. Kentucky, UConn, Michigan State, Maryland

No comments: