3.23.2005

Awakening from the Haze

Like most of America, as I look at my NCAA picks, I can't help but feel like a dork. When I checked out the top of the ESPN Tournament Challenge all I could find were a bunch of Bucknell grads. (Sigh.)

First a vent. How did the refs not call a trip on N.C. State on that Hodge's drive to the basket? The press accounts stated the Rudy Gay "hit the deck," but the replay shows he was helped. And no foul on the three point attempt by Williams? C'mon. All that bitching aside, UConn deserved to lose. Williams was making bad decisions and the team just would not step up. I have been worried about leadership issues since the beginning and the lack of leadership was evident in that game.

On a "too bad" note, the way Syracuse lost the game against Vermont - by having the ball dribbled off a heel of a Syracuse player then roll into the back court for a violation, was a damn shame. Not to take away from UVM, I was lucky enough to be at the game and they were extraordinarily disciplined in their approach. Like UConn, Syracuse could not buy a basket and McNamara had a particularly awful game.

On a "great for the fans note," what a Tourney! The games have been generally very close and really exciting. Not only are only 3 of last years Sweet 16 in this year's Sweet 16, but there were plenty of exciting games in Round 1.

Here's to the fans.

No comments: