3.30.2005

Wake Up, Time to Die

I have been “pleased” (I am not sure that is the right word, strike that, I am sure it is not the right word) to see a number of bloggers on my most respected list (Reynolds, Sensing, Althouse, to add a few to the list below) discussing the necessary “triumph” of the rule of law in the Schiavo case. Even the Captain himself has realized enough is enough.

But I started to think, is starvation such a bad way to go? (Morbid thoughts to follow.)

In the grand scheme of things, I'’d say no. I think we could all agree a quick death is the best (car crash, bullet, etc.), but what about the worst? This is not a subject I dwell upon a lot, but here are my Top 5 Ways I Would Not Want to Die:

5. Drowning. Someone once said drowning is not a bad way to go, bunk. Suffocation (as opposed to oxygen deprivation which allows me to breathe) has got to blow.

4. Terrorist Beheading (Film at 11). A public death for the kids to watch on the web. I'’ll pass.

3. Falling Off a Building/Cliff. Final thought: “"This is gonna hurt." Then” *splat*. The scenes from the WTC were absolutely gut wrenching to me.

2. Slow Roast. The burning, the smell, the pain. I almost pity the rotisserie chicken.

And the Number 1 Way I Would Not Want to Die,

1. Eaten By a Shark. Adding to the pain of the bites themselves (I'’d say I'’d need at least three to kill me). There is the ultimate humiliation of ending your mortal stay as some fish'’s turd.

Two common threads: keep the pain to a minimum and please do not require me to be brave.

Death itself does not bother me. I feel that at my (relatively) young age, I have been a good person, follow the Golden Rule, keep the Commandments and otherwise am not ashamed of many things. If upon meeting my Maker, He is a loving, forgiving God, the Kingdom awaits me. And if there is no god?

Then it just doesn’'t matter.

No comments: