3.14.2005

Bracketology

Okay, Phil's 4 (or 5 depending on whose account you read) foot par miss was on 16. Shit happens. Vijay's was a choke, but Phil's was a missed put. Time will tell though. One tournament does not tell the who story.

My quick take on the brackets:

The toughest bracket is Syracuse. My thought is you match seeds until you get to "one of these things is not like the others." At the 3 seed, you have Kansas (Syracuse), Oklahoma (Austin), Arizona (Chicago) and Gonzaga (Albuquerque). Kansas is head and shoulders above the rest.

The easiest? I am not sure, the rule of thumb is that Duke ALWAYS gets the easiest bracket, but with Kentucky, Oklahoma and Syracuse as the 2, 3 and 4 seed, I am not sure. I would still say that Austin is easier than Albuquerque because of Georgia Tech as a tough 5 seed.

First #1 to fall? Washington. The Huskies look to face GT to get to the Elite 8. Ouch.

My Elite 8? Illinois, Oklahoma State, GT, Wake, UNC, UConn, Duke and Kentucky. My Final Four are Illinois, Wake, UConn and Kentucky. I still see Illinois winning it all.

Cinderellas? I would say St. Mary's, but they will have a very touch time getting past OSU. West Virginia is hot, but needs to get through Wake. NC State can go deep, especially if UConn plays like it did against Syracuse. But I would look toward a New Mexico or UCLA. New Mexico has Villanova and Florida and UCLA has Texas Tech and Gonzaga, but I do not think this is a year of Cinderellas.

Of course, they all still have to play the game...

No comments: