3.22.2005

Schiavo Summary

As I reread the post below, I thought I would make clear my position in this matter.

1. With no other considerations, I do not favor removing the feeding tube from Terry Schiavo.

2. I believe Michael Schiavo. This is the main point. I believe him - that Terry said she did not want to live like this - and believed that he loved her and desires to carry out her wishes. With that, I am in favor of carrying out his wishes.

3. I believe the spouse has primacy in these decisions. If you value the institute of marriage, this is a no brainer. If you care about marriage only to prevent gays from marrying, you easily side with the parents.

4. I believe that 19 Florida judges (and now one appellate judge) deserve the benefit of the doubt. Judge Greer (the original judge and the lightning rod for procedural criticism) has withstood substantial review and I am convinced, if he were out of bounds, the other 18 judges and multiple guardian ad litems would have caught it by now.

5. Congress and the President should stay out. Conservatives abrogating the notion of federalism because it is inconvenient in this case is an outrage.

6. This case is a complete and total cluster f***. FUBAR. The plaintiffs, the Schindlers, face the ultimate loss if they lose, they have NO interest in playing by the rules - no interest in accepting a reasonable defeat. They were fine with Michael for three years trying to find hope, a cure, a sign. After Michael gave up, he was the enemy and nothing will stop them from saving their daughter. These are not circumstances that lead to a result the rest of the country can live with.

I am in total sympathy with Michael Schiavo and the Schindlers. Each, I believe in my heart, is doing what they think is best for Terry. I find myself in the unnatural position of completely agreeing with each in their role and, truth be told, I am not sure I would act any differently.

But I have no dog in this fight. I can only look to principles and law that will remain after Terry (and all the other actors) have left this realm. And these seem to be readily compromised for one person.

That is wrong.

My prayers are with Michael, the Schindlers and, above everyone, Terry.

[UPDATE 1. See Football Fans for Truth's summary of the facts. As he says, I am on the side of the law. If things go as expected, Terry Schiavo will die for a princple: the rule of law. This is an important principle that has been lost is the shuffle. But it is also one that Americans have died for for over 200 years.]

[UPDATE 2. Michael Schiavo certainly does not need what ever is left in the trust fund - he will have more than enough money from the defamations suits. When Patricia Heaton goes on Entertainment Tonight and slanders Michael Schiavo, that has got to be worth a cool $1 million.]

No comments: