3.24.2005

Back from Sin City

Let me recount a story that makes my milk curdle...

Many years ago (I forget when and where, only the storyline), a husband was faced with an alarmingly tragic decision. After a horrible automobile accident, he was forced to choose between ending the life of his 8 month child or his pregnant wife. The doctors explained that given the circumstances, only one of them was going to survive this medical process. Now, given those circumstances, I would have chosen my wife - because to me, a partner (with the possibility of adopting later on and having that family) would be the happier of the two roads to take. Apparently, the husband agreed with me, and chose to abort this unborn child and save his wife.
Enter the politicians, public opinion, and that demon of legal process, the ACLU. Those people took a GUTWRENCHING decision and made it a legal nightmare, suing for the right of the unborn child and stalling the process that the husband had so laboriously pondered. Dropping and rubbing salt in a wound that no person should have to suffer.

Case in point, Terry Shiavo. The legal process has been thoroughly examined, processed, and decided upon. To assert that the right of the parents supercedes the right of the spouse would open a legal can of worms that would develop into a flood. I feel for her parents, no mother and father should have to see their child in this manner and go through what they have to go through - but again, this is not a new development, this case has been ongoing for a while now, and we must close it and move on with our lives. You can question the decision of Michael to become involved with another woman while his wife is still alive - that's a stone that we CAN throw, but to assert that his contention that "Terry told me should would not want to live like this" is not true (with no empirical evidence to the contrary) and rescind his decision as her spouse violates the instituion of marriage, personally and legally. In my humble opinion, that is...

NOTE: Thew is an IT geek, golfer, and internet gamer. His knowledge of legal precedents and the law is minimal at best - providing she's over 18, he doesn't pay attention to any of that other stuff. So take his opinions with a grain of salt.

Which CAN, and briefly will, bring me to my next point...keep the f**kin government out of our individual lives! From this case to that asswipe in Singaport who pleaded to President Clinton to save his lilly livered ass from a caning that he DESERVED for breaking the laws of that country to the idiot politicians who are posturing on the steroid scandal, there are times when it's all a public opinion game for votes. Stop being sheep and relying on others to do your dirty work. Making laws for the betterment of society as a whole is admirable and their task, but there are too many instances of people appealing to the government to intercede in their personal lives, too many instances of officials making legislation preventing the STUPID people from suffering the consequences of their own idiocy - I just don't see the benefit here, and it sets a dangerous precedent of taking personal empowerment out of peoples' lives in favor of the government telling them what to do and how to do it. Just my 2 cents, worth about $1.19 Canadian.

To quote the WOPR computer "the only way to win is not to play". I am PERFECT on my NCAA pool picks! Why? Because I'm not playing, and good reason. I have to laugh at Tilam for his constant prognostication in blogs past, while I always said "man, it's just SO tough to predict anything, I'm going to refrain from posting about something so fluid and unpredicable". Of course, if I HAD bet, I would be sucking LOSER SOUP! Wake and UCONN would have killed me, of course. I also predicted that Washington would be the first #1 seed to fall, and they have happily proven me completely wrong so far. But Tilam's right, what an exciting time. You are glued to every game, every possession. Like sex with the Mrs, I'm just happy to be there.

Tilam, VIJAY CHOKED AGAIN! Faced with a 160 yard shot into the green and tied with Kenny Perry, he dropped it in the drink! WOO WOO! I hate that bastard. Boy, I was cheering again. Now, finishing second is nice, but yipping a 3 footer and swimming with the fishes on the 72nd hole is a trend! But of course, he's the #1 ranked golfer in the world again. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Bobby Fischer...dickhead. Yet another case of an athlete (wait, are chessplayers athletes?!) with an inflated self-image. And Fischer has alway been eccentric. He claims that the US revoked his passport and that Japan had to deport him back to the US so that he can face charges of violation of US sanctions against Yugoslavia when he played Boris Spassky in 1992. Now, okay, maybe we DID have a bit of a hand in this goof-up, just to harass him a bit (I believe that), but his expressions are classless and show him to be the arrogant self-centered jerk we always believe him to be. He called this "a kidnapping by Japan, cooked up by President Bush and Japanese PM Koizumi", and as he walked toward the airport entrance, he turned, unzipped his pants and acted like he was going to urinate on the wall. He called Japan's ruling party "gangsters," and said he was being hounded by the United States because it is "Jew-controlled." Sorry - RACIST dickhead.

In NBA news, David Stern has basically completely ruled out a return this season of Ron Artest. Way to stick to your guns, David. Sure hope Artest is a good rapper...

In MLB news, I am apparently not the only person who welcomes Tino Martinez back to the Bronx...I think Mrs Thew has a thing for Tino the Bum. So a bunch of kids want the Yankees/Red Sox to "shakes hands and make up" before their first meeting...why the hell would they want to do that? Sure, all the players know the other team is talented and respect them, but OMG, keep some of what is the BEST rivalry in sports. What, are they going to be huddling around a campfire, holding hands, and singing "Kumbaya" soon?

PGA Golf comments...Look at the Player's Championship leaderboard - yes, that is the Bulldog, Corey Pavin, sitting at -3. GO COREY. I've always loved that guy. Oh, and I can be rest assured that I hit the ball as far as a pro - Grace Park, that is, only she's a helluva lot better looking than me.

Huh? Oh shit, that's the boss...gotta jet.

No comments: