3.31.2005

Just so Tilam doesn't hog da blog

Star Wars...They are no longer exciting to me and I no longer look for the new release with bated breath, as Tilam says. But I will see the last movie since I've seen the first 5, if only to bring closure to it all. Hopefully.

Here is a symptom I see - and I saw this with "The Matrix" trilogy - when you have a movie that spawns a slew of books, that's the problem. When you have a book or books that spawn a movie, it's better. Look at the Lord of the Rings. I read that trilogy in 8th grade, and was completely fascinated (I have since read it twice more cover to cover) with that story and genre. Then the movie(s), which frankly, I consider to be the greatest film trilogy of all time, bar none. But Star Wars came from GL's mind before it was a novel, and so many people jumped on the bandwagon with novellas, novels, and speculation, and GL got caught up in that maelstrom, trying to explain the story and please all his fans. I thought The Empire Strikes Back sucked donkey balls, but the Return of the Jedi was better. Episode 1 sucked goat balls, while episide 2 was better. So I hope this last episode bucks my trend and is good - I have to admit, the trailer looks pretty spiffy. Same with the Matrix - I STILL cannot understand wtf was at the end of the second movie, the dickhead in the chair - I thought I had it down good after that scene though, then the last one just was a lotta action wrapped around a sketchy plot. Here's the deal guys - if you want to wrap a storyline into it, make it cohesive, flowing, and tie all the loose ends. If not, just blow up shit, show gratuitous sex, naked bodies, lotta cusswords, then "the end".

Comments on Tilam's rant on Star Wars? He makes too many good points. I f**kin HATE Ewoks. And yes, the "immaculate conception" of Anakin Starwalker is assinine. Mitochloridians (or whatever the hell they are), I have to agree with Tilam again - just a buncha virus cells that speak to us? Kinda like the clap? "Hey baby, I got VD, but it's telling me that I'm a superhero!" A pathetic explanation, and RIGHT ABOUT THERE is where I first started thinking "okay, the Star Wars line sux".

Let me talk about the dying part...

Again, Tilam and I are on the same page here - quick and dirty, or peacefully in my sleep after a nice hummer from an 18 year old cheerleader. My own addition/edit is based on the premise - okay, if I have to die, I don't want to KNOW that I'm going to die. Much like drowning, falling off a building/cliff, and my ultimate slow death, a plane crash, I'd much rather get done in quickly rather than have, say, 1 minute to ponder that I'm actually doing to die while plummetting helplessly from 30,000 feet with 200 other people screaming in my ears. Talk about stress! (this is why those people on the hijacked flight that crashed in PA are ULTIMATE heroes to me, none of them wanted to die, but they KNEW they had to do something, and if they were gonna die they were gonna take those terrorist cocksuckers down with 'em). Oh, and in deference to my claustraphobia, being buried alive would suck big time. I can't even think about that without getting quesy.

Almost 2 weeks without food/water for Terry Shiavo. I'm sure she's registering the pain/discomfort on a subconscious level, but her vegetative state and lack of consciousness really make this a slow painless process for here. Or I believe painless, at least on cognizant level. Honestly, I wish would just pass quietly and let everyone make their peace. Too many people are suffering here, and all these motions, arguments, and legal briefs are just extending the pain of those around the case, not her.

Oh, and one comment on Tilam's frustration with our own private Player's Championship...15 years without a win will become 16 shortly. And remember, my FAVORITE beer is the ice cold beverage I win from my pal Tilam. :)

No comments: