3.20.2006

Good Calls and Air Balls

The reason I did not post until after the dust settles on the Sweet 16 is that there is a tendency to use one game as the barometer of the Tournament. Of course you can't. But there are some observations that deserved to be made:

Parity. Parity. Parity. Maybe it's the lure of the NBA on the Top BCS players (and HS seniors who would otherwise go to a BCS school), but Cinderella has just been killed. She is a myth. No one can take a "mid-major" program for granted.

Four of the Sweet 16 team are Big East, two each from ACC (thank got they stole BC from the BEast!), Pac10, SEC and Missouri Valley. One from CUSA, Big 12, WCC and Colonial. Zero from the Big 10.

Air Ball: I have got to apologize to the Pac 10. I have disrespected them all year and UCLA and Washington both looked like they deserve to be in the Sweet 16. Much apologies. Same can be said for Memphis and Gonzaga also, but, so far, each has performed according to my expectations.

Good Call: I said below: "UNC and Kansas seem to be favorite picks for deep runs. Not gonna happen." I will say I had UNC going further out of a "weak side" bracket, but their loss is no surprise here.

Sort of Good Call: I have 12 out of the Sweet 16. Missed the Bradley and George Mason runs, but called Wichita State. I placed too much faith in Marquette (and Steve "The Bust" Novak) and missed the coin toss that was the Illinois and Washington game. Unfortunately, I can only get a max of 6 of the Elite 8, but my Final Four are all still alive.

No comments: