3.14.2006

Opinions are Like...

Pouring over the opinions on which is the toughest bracket, I am amazed at the diversity of opinion. Gregg Doyel says Oakland, Dickie V. thinks DC, De Los Santos (and my) feeling is that Minneapolis is the toughest, but I would pick Atlanta (Dennis Dodd's pick) next. I am surprised, normally there is a general consensus on the toughest region. Not that I see this year.

UNC and Kansas seem to be favorite picks for deep runs. Not gonna happen. Each is very young and did what young teams do over the season, mature, improve and beat conference opponents when they get a SECOND chance. What young teams don't do well is handle good, new look teams and the pressure of the Tourney. UNC might come out of the weak side of the DC bracket, but I do not see Kansas getting to the Sweet 16.

Another year, another Gonzaga love fest. CBS' "National Bracket" has Gonzaga in the Final Four out of Oakland. Again, Gonzaga has the "easy" ("easier"?) side of the Oakland bracket, but still will probably face IU and then Marquette (and Steve Novak) or UCLA. If they get through then they have a date with Memphis (or Kansas or Pitt). That is three games against six teams that are (IMHO) better then they are. Using Saragin's Predictor on a neutral court, Gonzaga loses to IU by a point, Marquette by a point, UCLA by 4, Memphis by 7, Kansas by 7 and Pitt by 4. Of course, you have to play the games, but I see them falling to Marquette or UCLA. Regardless, according to Jeff's computer Gonzaga does not have a neutral court advantage over any of the teams they are likely to play.

John Chaney has retired. 'Bout time. 'Nuff said.

I think I have covered all I wanted in this and the previous posts. No more commenting until after the Sweet 16 is determined. Finally, for the record, my Sweet 16 is Duke, LSU, UWV, Texas, Memphis, Pitt, Gonzaga, Marquette, UConn, Illinois, UNC, Witchita State, 'Nova, BC, Florida, GTown. My Cinderella Pick is Witchita State. (I like Northern Iowa, but they got a crap draw.)

No comments: