3.22.2006

Joga Bonito

"Play Beautiful"

Nike has a new series of ads celebrating World Cup 2006 and launching their new line of soccer shoes. Normally, I don't give this marketing thing a second thought, but they have a series of videos hosted by Eric Cantona. Most impressive is the Brazilian Ping Pong with Ronaldinho. Impressive in its originality, but doubtful that it actually happened. While Ronaldinho swears he did it, I find it highly improbable. I will say that if anyone in the world could, Ronaldinho could - his foot skills are amazing.

My favorite is 4-4-2 or 1-1-8? Anyone who loves the "beautiful game" will immediately love that point of view. There is some impressive play (Thierry Henry's back heel goal is my favorite), though with Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Henry and Wayne Rooney, you think they could fill several reels of highlight films.

Check it out...

TILAM UPDATE: It did occur to me that anyone who know Cantona's history will find it surprising he is advocating the "beautiful game." But I guess drop kicking SPECTATORS is ok. Still, as regular readers know, I prefer to remember the athlete for the totality of his/her career, and not based on one incident. Long live King Eric.

No comments: