1.06.2005

On a Serious Note

With the Yates case overturned, protein wisdom, (link to the left) one of my favorite blogs, veers into serious territory about Yates, murder and the insanity defense.

I did not follow the case closely enough to have a legal opinion, but I do believe as one of Jeff's commentors said, "the case hinged on whose experts you believed."

Jeff believes (I think I am summarizing this correctly) that Andrea Yates was insane at the time and should have been found not guilty by reason of insanity.

My question to him is, "Is there a crime so heinous that you would not accept insanity as defense?" I don't need specifics, it is just rhetorical.

The Yates case is a sad tragedy on many levels, not the least of which is the terror those children must have experienced in their last moments. But also includes the very real hell that Mrs. Yates will relive for the rest of her days - that internal movie replaying the scene over and over and over again.

Enough already, I eagerly await the next entry in Martha Stewart's Chronicles.

No comments: