1.03.2005

Welcome Back to Me

I don't know how the major bloggers do it. Some travel for work and family and - BAM - weeks go by without a post. A quick Hat Tip to all those guys and gals.

The Hot Top 10 is quickly becoming a bigger curse than the SI cover. But we will not be deterred! Conference play begins in earnest, so stay tuned.

1. Illinois. Sure they have lapses, but not big ones, not yet. And I will say the unsayable. These guys could run the table.
2. Kansas. Down 16, win in the end. Building character for the tough games at the Dance. Get ready for Kentucky.
3. UNC. Roy is back. Rest up for the 15th.
4. Duke. Okay. I admit it. They are playing well. But this is all a warm up to February 2-9th.
5. Wake. Mark your calendars for January 15th. Against UNC at home. ESPN notwithstanding, I think UNC is the better team.
6. Oklahoma State. The loss to Gonzaga was tough, but so is Gonzaga
7. Gonzaga. Okay, they had to appear once, and after next week, they might not again. The loss to Missouri hurt, but there is no denying that they played some great ball. Washington, GT, Oklahoma State.
8. GT. 2 point loss to Kansas is nothing to be ashamed of, but Gonzaga, maybe.
9. & 10. Kentucky and UConn. Powder puff schedules mask if they are truly HOT and how Hot they are. Of course, KU has Kansas coming up.

Mucho thanks to Thew and the lovely Mrs. Thew for their hospitality. A good time was had by all over drinks and sushi. I do not get to see Thew in person that much anymore, so this was a rare occasion. Of course, there is that golfing weekend scheduled in May, but that just means that one of our party will break a bone the week before and it will be postponed again.

I can not get up alot of bile for King George and the Big Deal. I have said over and over that George does not get it. He can get a group of guys to win a division; a division series and maybe even a championship series, but it takes a team to win the Series. I am not sure I agree with Thew on the decimation of the farm system, I guess those guys are unproven talent, while Johnson is a proven talent. I view Johnson the same way I view Mussina. He will get his wins and is unflappable - an important quality in New York. Who knows - he might have three years left in him.

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. What marketing rocket scientist thought of that? Geez. The lawyers will have a field day.

It is hard to disagree with Pats-Steelers and Packers-Eagles, but I would give the edge to the Pats. If I had balls, I would predict a Chargers-Pat championship game in the AFC, but I don't. Has there ever been a true rookie who has led his team to the Super Bowl? I give the edge to NE because of Belichick and his staff. I just don't see them screwing up. I do see Roethelisberger getting the yips. He was shaky down the stretch, but that was nothing compared to the playoffs.

More to come, but gotta jet.

No comments: