1.24.2005

Superlative Comments

I reread the post below and feel compelled to explain that I do not issue superlatives lightly. (Unlike the local weatherman: you know - the second "Storm of the Century" this month.) I basically feel that to do so diminishes compliments when they are truly deserved.

I was on the phone with a professional acquaintance and fellow Yankee fan and his comment summed it up for me. He said (remember this is no Boston sports lover) that the Patriots remind him of the Yankees of the late 90s.

True. A bunch of guys who are all very good (some are All Pro), but they elevate their level of play together. I think the analogy breaks down at the coaching level (Torre v. Belichick), but you can make the argument that even then it works because of the inherent differences in the roll of the baseball manager v. football coach. But I think it was more of a comment about player personnel. Brady = Jeter? Harrison = Williams? O'Neill = Seymour?

There have been some dominant teams Packers in the 60's, 70's Steelers, Dallas in the 90's. And great players leading teams Montana's 49ers and Elway's Broncos. And now the Brady Patriots of the 00's. Their time will pass, but not for a while.

No comments: