9.07.2007

Opera

Before Thew soils himself in shock about opera comments, let me say that I don't think you can be a true music lover without appreciating opera.

Now I am not a huge fan, because (like most men I think) sopranos (specifically colortura sopranos whose voices are in the highest range) can drive me to drink. Beverly Sills was a classic colortura soprano. The roll of Donna Anna in Mozart's Don Giovanni is traditionally been a colortura soprano.

Dramatic sopranos, such as the incomparable Maria Callas, are much more tolerable. An example might be Brunhilde in Die Walkure by Wagner. Dramatic sopranos tend to have a slightly deeper range and will hit the high notes, but only for dramatic effect. That way the fingernails on chalkboard syndrome is minimized.

That said, I find arias for tenors and baritones more to my liking. I have also found the music accompanying tenor arias (such as Nessun Dorma) to be much richer and powerful. For example, the role of the Phantom in The Phantom of the Opera, can be a baritone or tenor. Here is The Music of the Night from the film version sung by GERARD BUTLER.

That sound you hear is Tdub's new found love of opera...

No comments: