9.17.2007

Getting Spanked

I had mentioned before that my U12 Boys team was promoted to the Tournament of Champions League. Gah! It has not worked out so well.

Our first two games we got spanked 7-2 each time. Since my coaching career has been relatively successful, this is driving me nuts. Yes, the team is very young. Yes, the larger field is new to them (as is the formation). Yes, we are not the top all-star team. And yes, it is the start of the season, but sugar, honey ice tea!

Dissecting the games has been easy: our defense sucks! So I know the first problem we need to solve, but solving it will be tricky. To wit, I have only two "natural" defenders..."natural" being defined as both ability AND interest. Everyone else prefers the other side of the ball. This couple with my natural tendency to preach offense has resulted in two massacres. I am used to being Sherman, not Atlanta.

Oddly, it is not that we played poorly all the time...in fact we dominated huge parts of the last game, but our lapses are complete and devastating. In both games, 10 minute lapses resulted in four goals a piece. I nearly burst a vessel!

Two practices and one scrimmage this week marks the journey back.

No comments: