8.30.2007

Ewww! The Kissie Part

Hmmmm. Tdub's list is interesting...we have only one COUPLE in common, but another person in common. But, what is with TWO Cary Grant's...that says something, but I don't know what.

I also divided my list into non-steamy, where there is great tension, but no nasty, and steamy, where it is about the nasty.

My Non-Steamy List:
1. Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor - Cleopatra. Maybe the top Hollywood couple of all time.
2. Cary Grant and Grace Kelly - To Catch a Thief. Grace Kelly could be the most beautiful woman of all time.
3. Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn - Adam's Rib. Another film/real couple with GREAT married couple banter. (Of note, Princess Tilam, had she been another Prince, would have been named Spencer. Insiders will get the connection.)
4. Ted Danson and Shelley Long - Cheers. Prototypical "opposites attract" couple.
5. Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepard - Moonlighting. That is UNTIL they actually hooked up.

My Steamy List:
1. Mickey Rourke and Kim Basinger - 9 1/2 Weeks. Ice, Ice, Baby.
2. William Hurt and Kathleen Turner - Body Heat. Hurt played a bunch of "sexy" leading men for some unknown reason, but Kathleen Turner was well cast.
3. Dennis Quaid and Ellen Barkin - The Big Easy. Is is something about thrillers that drives up the tension?
4. Oliver Martinez and Diane Lane - Unfaithful. Thew knows Diane Lane has got to make it on this list somewhere.
5. Tom Cruise and Kelly McGillis - Top Gun. More for sentimental reasons.

I also considered Arnez and Ball, but ultimately liked the others better. Also I rejected Bogey & Becall, because I just never saw Bogey as a "romantic" lead. And Hudson and Day in Pillow Talk were great, but Rock was, er...well, dropped from consideration.

Finally, I wanted to mention sex, lies & videotape. James Spader and Andie MacDowell were a great "couple" but I am not sure they fit the bill. If they did, they would bump Cruise and McGillis.

No comments: