8.15.2007

Top 10 Boob...Tube Shows

Top 10 TV shows. ACK! There are so many types of TV shows - drama, comedy, sci-fi, cartoons, game shows, it's so hard to narrow it down. So I WON'T!!!

Actually, I'm going to take a divergent path and break up some categories here...

Top 5 Game Shows:
Beat the Clock - I remember watching this hilarious show when I was a wee Thew and laughing my butt off at the stunts that the teams had to do in under 1 minute to BEAT THE CLOCK!
The Price is Right - classic show; I used to play the Big Showcase with my college roommate before class, and for some reason I'd always lose. :(
Deal or No Deal - the ultimate TV based lottery get rich quick game.
Jeopardy - Mrs Thew is amazed with my ability to remember completely useless things and get every question in a category right.
The Newlywed Game - can you BELIEVE some of the answers these people give?! "Q: what is the wierdest place where you've made whoopee?" / "A: in the ass?".

The Top 5 Cartoons:
The Flintstones - best cartoon of ALL TIME in my humble opinion. I STILL know the words to the entire theme song.
Tom & Jerry - I don't know how many seasons this cartoon ran, but it only had spoken words in a SINGLE episode.
The Simpsons - there is NO dissing this juggernaut of a cartoon sit-com.
South Park - wierd, raunchy, and mostly disgusting humor, but I love this show! Oh my god, you killed Kenny - you BASTARDS!
Bugs Bunny - introduced Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam, the Tasmanian Devil, Daffy Duck, Porky Pig, Wile E Coyote - the whole Looney Toons gang.

And FINALLY, Thew's Top 10 TV Shows (in no particular order):
Cheers - NORM! Sam & Diane (remember when Carla told Diane that Sam was a father of her baby?)! Carla was GREAT! Coach! Cliffy! Hell, even Frasier and Lilith! I hated Woody, btw...
M*A*S*H* No dropoff from Trapper John to BJ, nothing from Frank to Charles, from Henry Blake to Sherman Potter. And Klinger...
The Honeymooners - If you've ever seen Gleason at his best, you'll know this was a classic show.
I Love Lucy - Lucille Ball, the forerunner to EVERY SINGLE comedienne ever - only rivaled even remotely by Carol Burnette - she was utterly indescribeable in this funny show.
The Tonight Show w/Johnny Carson (still gotta give Kudo's to Jay Leno for doing admirable to fill some humongous shoes)
Star Trek - if it moved and had an orifice, Kirk nailed it before defeating the bad guys - James Kirk scored more poontang then Wilt Chamberlain, AND in 1/10th the time.
All in the Family - one of the groundbreakers of the family sit-com - Caroll O'Connor, Meathead, and EDITH were fantastic - I still know the theme song to this one
Happy Days - "Who are THESE nerds?" / "Hey, these aren't nerds, these are my friends" / "YEAH" / "SHUDDUP NERD!"
60 Minutes - investigative journalism at its earliest and most penetrative - the leader to all the shlock jockeys today (nancy grace, heraldo rivera) and still one of the longest running shows (meet the press might be the only one that is longer)
The Sopranos - Mrs Thew and I are addicted to this - so I have to include it - and any TV shows whose headquarters is a topless titty bar, count me in!

Honorable Mentions (be they TV shows or Series or TV Movies/Events)
Ben Hur (a single movie event, but AWESOME)
The 10 Commandments (Heston is a STUD, but Yul Brynner takes the stage as Pharoah in this one)
The Twilight Zone (Rod Serling was a great - this was a front runner of all sci-fi shows)
Andy Griffith
Mary Tyler Moore
Bewitched
Carol Burnett
The Ed Sullivan Show (you cannot measure the impact of Ed Sullivan in his day)
Sonny & Cher (not the first but really the best couple variety show - don't discount Rowan & Martin's Laugh In)
CSI (cool as hell)
Mission Impossible ("Good Morning Mr Phelps")
X-Files (a phenomenon all by itself)
The George & Gracie Show (I never knew how funny George Burns was until I caught some old episodes of this show)
Gilligan’s Island (I couldn't leave this one off my list)
Sesame Street (never did find out if Ernie & Bert were more than just ambiguously gay)
Cosby Show (a groundbreaker, showing a positive, upper class, intelligent african american family - that is, until Lisa Bonet got kinda phreaky)
Saturday Night Live (Honorable Mention only because the "Not Ready for Prime Time Players" lasted what, 2 seasons?)

No comments: