8.30.2007

If I could change the alphabet, I'd put U & I together

I actually came up with this challenge thinking 2 things:

- TILAM does not "do" kissy kissy movies - oh sure, Mrs Tilam will drag his sorry ass to the theatre every so often to see a nice movie romance, and he'll go mostly because it increases the likelihood of making nasty later, but ultimately he'll be dreaming of other things, such as Diane Lane and a bottle of Mazola.

- TDub, interestingly enough as she states, does not do "chick flix" either. Any date that I would ever take her on would consist of probably some sort of sci-fi or fantasy movie, a rousing round of Worlf of Warcraft groupage, and a little role playing of "Kirk and the alien princess" later.

Truthfully, my expectations were rather low...but I have to admit, their lists were fantastic. Kudos to Tilam for his poetic liberty in making a "steamy" vs a "non-steamy" list - it shows cognitive thought, something he is not known for. And while TDub shows her prejudice for sci-fi genre, she includes one of my all time favorites - "Beauty and the Beast" from TV (Ron Perlman is fantastic). I'm not sure what this means, but I've seen every one of Tilam's "steamy" flicks...with the exception of "Unfaithful", since I'm not into extra-marital affairs.

Okay, I know you're blue from holding your collective breaths, so I will grace you with THEW's list of romances (in no particular order):

- Jack Dawson and Rose in Titanic; Just a great romance surrounded by a great story, I have to give this doomed couple kudos as they deserve.
- Aragorn and ArwenLord of the Rings; what man wouldn't want to bang an elf maiden that look like Liv Tyler?
- Billy Crystal and Meg RyanWhen Harry Met Sally; the banter of Billy Crystal is incredibly funny in this movie - the horrified expression on his face after they finally make nasty, while she's smiling and snuggling is priceless.
- Crash Davis and Annie in Bull Durham; I have come to despise Susan Sarandon for her political bullshit, but this movie, wrapped around their romance, makes it top 10 for me.
- Wesley and Buttercup in The Princess Bride; ASSSSSSS YOUUUUUU WIIIIIISH!!! Who'd have thought that Andre the Giant would be so wonderful in an acting role.
- Forrest and Jenny in Forrest Gump; his single minded devotion to her throughout the entire movie, their tryst together (finally!), and the ending was a real quality love story imo.
- Sam & DianeCheers; you CANNOT leave this off the list (okay, TDub did, but you get my opinion)...
- Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner in Romancing the Stone; here's to sliding down a mudfall in the middle of Columbia and ending up with your face in a woman's crotch! Yee Hah!
- Richard and Liz inCleopatra; Tilam steals my thunder, but worthy of the King and Queen.
- Scarlett and Rhett in Gone with the Wind; don't like this choice? Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Honorable Mentions:
Paul/Holly in Breakfast @ Tiffany's (in honor of Mrs Thew, as this is one of her favorites)
Cher/Nicholas Cage in Moonstruck; sorry, just liked it.
Bogey/Bacall in Casablanca
Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan in Sleepless in Seattle?
Romeo/Juliet in Romeo & Juliet; I LOVED this version, Leo and Clare and Leguizamo were great, and they used Shakespearean English all throughout this modern setting.
Will Thatcher & Jocelyn in A Knight's Tale; "better a silly girl with a flower than silly boy with a horse and stick" - "it's a lance, helloooo!"

And, to sum it up, my ALL TIME TOP COUPLE.....
Captain James T Kirk and any female of any alien species! That guy has kicked more ass and banged more alien poontang than Wilt Chamberlain and Gene Simmons combined. Truly a hero for all ages! :)

EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT!

No comments: